Saturday, December 13, 2008

Beleza


In class I learned the most accurate predictor of falls for the elderly is a previous history of falls. I never learned when someone should start documenting such falls. So, to err on the side of safety, and to avoid possible future litigation, I think it right to report the beginning of my wife's fall history. Enter with me into our pre-dawn bedroom three days ago. The window was open and a chill was in the room. There we were, with blankets over our bodies, praying to start the day, looking like two bears foraging for berries who were probably fast asleep, and therefore, motionless. When Anna finished her prayer, she got up to get ready for her 12 hour shift and I continued to pray/sleep in my bear-crouch. All of the sudden I heard a thud and looked over to see Anna lying motionless on the ground, right next to my closet. I jumped over to her and asked her if she was okay and it tooka good five seconds for her to respond. In classic Anna style, the first response from her was a long laugh. This was the first time I had actually seen someone faint and it was just like the movies. And so begins Anna's medical history of falls. Technically, fainting is outside the scope of a fall, but it still should be noted. Anna is the little engine that could. She goes, goes, and goes. I don't know many people who can work three straight 13.5 hour shifts in the hospital and still have as much energy for life as she

1 comment:

Camille said...

Ha ha! Anna told me about fainting, but this version was very entertaining. Let's hope it doesn't become a habit! :)