Monday, October 13, 2008

Tucson Fall

Fall is my favorite season. Everything about it is so comfortable and cozy. Not to mention fall food is my favorite. I was a little nervous about fall this year, seeing as Tucson doesn't exactly have seasons. HOwever, it's turned out to be one of my favorite falls yet as we've discovered "fall stuff" in Tucson. For example, the bats. There's a bridge by our apartment that for some reason becomes the home of hundreds of thousands of bats in the fall. If you go to the bridge at sunset, they all swarm out at once and fly away. It was so creepy and halloween-ish!


Fall in Tucson has also come to mean

*we can bear to have the oven on and cook again. We've made some really good things, if I may say, but my favorite were our donuts...mmmhmmm.

*windy days

*camping trips (as Spence talked about in the last post)

*General Conference!!! it's not particular to Tucson, but it means so much to have that connection to the church when I sometimes feel so displaced from it down here. Wasn't it awesome?!

*canooing in Thatcher (well, and being in Thatcher period!)

*cheap apples, and thus apple pie, apple cake, caramel apples, apple-cheese sandwiches, applesauce, apple crisp, apple cider, lunch apples, marshmallow-chocolate-apples, etc etc etc.

*high school football games....not as super seniors as you may think, but as Spencer's brother, Jake's fan club. And it wasn't just any high school football game. It was the homecoming in Thatcher, where all the families in the city gather for the big game. The stands were filled with little 7 year olds whose hair was died Thatcher High green, coaches I mean dads, and 30-40 year alums. I love football games. And I love Thatcher.

*orchard picking, which I'd never done before. If things don't work out for nursing school, I will definitely grow my own orchard and cook pies all day, just like Annie, this lady whose orchard we visited.


Anyway...it's been a really fun fall, even without red leaves or chilly nights. Even in Tucson, it's still my favorite season!
And please let us know any fun fall traditions you have that could be done in a warm desert--we'd love to try more!

4 comments:

brynn said...

Isn't fall such the best? And I'm glad you've found so many awesome fall things to do in Arizona; I was taking up a collection of some yellow/red/orange leaves from Idaho saved up to send to you. I'll try to send some of this unseasonably chilly idaho air, but can make no guarantees.

ps. What are your plans for Thanksgiving? I'll be in AZ and would love to meet up if you'll be around...

Melissa Markham said...

I love fall too! That's funny about the bats. Austin has the same thing - they fly out from beneath a bridge at sunset. Spooky! It was fun to talk to you today. I love you!

Martha said...

It sounds like you've found lots of fall things to do! I love the bats--how creepy and Halloweenish.

Camille said...

Tucson fall is funny, you come to appreciate those days with highs in the 70s! I've never been to Apple Annie's Orchard but it sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for all the ideas for what to cook with the apples on sale! :)